Silverrush Opening Assembly

Sadie McMorris, Sports & Clubs Section Editor

The time is finally here, and on Thursday, November 30th the charity for SilverRush was finally released, and the SilverRush festivities began. SilverRush is everyone’s favorite time at Riverton High School, and this year was no exception. As students piled into the auditorium for the first and second assembly you could feel the excitement. Senior Karlee West said “The assemblies never fail to make me cry. Just seeing these families hurting, and knowing you can help make their lives better really warms your heart, and makes you want to give every penny you have.”

The assembly started out as most assembly’s do with the National Anthem as well as the school hymn, both sung by the Madrigals. Everyone in the audience was waiting in anticipation for the charity to be released, but it wasn’t time yet. Mayor Applegarth stepped on stage to read a statement declaring November 30th through December 21st, 2017 the official Silverrush season.

Next, on stage was Brady Flamm who stepped on stage to remind us about Millie’s Princess Foundation, and thank Riverton High School for what we did for them, and the seven families we helped last year. Brady Flamm reminded us of what we did, and how much we helped Andelyn, Brielle, Chaden, Darren, Jacob, Parker, and Stetson. Everyone loves Millie’s Princess Foundation as well as those kids, and were so excited to hear about how they were all doing. Brady Flamm stepped off the stage, and it was time.

Our SBO’s went one by one on  stage to talk about several things that the children we are helping go through, and then a video played. This video showed the spirit of Silverrush and how great of a time it is, then the words ¨ This year… Riverton High School…. Will be giving everything to… Now I Can Foundation.” There it was: our charity for this year, the crowd erupted into applause, and a standing ovation.

Soon founder of the Now I Can Foundation, Tracy Christensen, stepped on stage with her daughter Colby telling their story, and how they founded Now I Can. We were told we were helping three families in particular, and a video was shown.  We learned about Tray, Everly, and Porter in that video, and how their lives have gone. There was not a dry eye in the auditorium by the end of the video as the families were welcomed on stage the crowd once again erupted into a standing ovation. Junior Chelsey McCain said “SilverRush this year is so special, it’s such a good feeling to know that we’re helping local families that we can actually get to know, and talk to. Every year it gets more, and more exciting, but there’s just a light about the families we are helping this year.”

Our SBO President Brian Pham came on stage to remind everyone “It’s not about the Money, it’s about the Change,” but to make sure we gave our all to Now I Can to make this the best Silverrush yet.

• Silverrush Opening Assembly

SBO Elections of the 2018-2019 School Year Result

• Silverrush Opening Assembly

News

Overview of Ballot Initiatives

• Silverrush Opening Assembly

Xi Jinping, Kim Jong-un Relations

• Silverrush Opening Assembly

“March for Our Lives” Protests in Utah

• Silverrush Opening Assembly

Salt Lake City School District plans to cut one of their Dual-language classes from Emerson Elementary school, parents are outraged.

• Silverrush Opening Assembly

Obama Couple’s Portraits Draw Attention: Controversy

• Silverrush Opening Assembly

Riverton High Lockdown Drill

• Silverrush Opening Assembly

RHS Arts Department Takes Field Trip to BYU and Springville Art Museum

• Silverrush Opening Assembly

The Effectiveness of Smiling

• Silverrush Opening Assembly

Fun Facts With Matthew: The Attack of the Dead Men

Silverrush Opening Assembly