The Grammy Nominations

Will Miles, Op-Ed/A&E Section Editor

Earlier this week, the official list of the nominees for the Grammys were announced. This year truly was the year for hip hop and rap, with most of the major categories being dominated by the artists you would typically hear on the “Rap Caviar” Spotify playlist. Of course we couldn’t go without having “Despacito,” the song that dominated the Billboard 100 for most of the summer, nominated for a few awards.

One of the biggest surprises in the list was the sheer amount of categories Khalid was nominated for. For those not caught up to speed, Khalid came onto the rap scene in early 2017. The quality and success of his album seemingly came out of nowhere and took the world by storm. The obvious nomination would’ve been for New Artist, but Khalid’s career apparently went above and beyond this year as he was nominated for a total of five Grammys, which is unheard of for someone so young and new to the game.

Some other notable names were Childish Gambino, Kendrick Lamar, and Bruno Mars. All three were nominated for record of the year with the smash hits Redbone, Humble, and 24k Magic; all had a prominent presence during this summer. All of these artists were also recognised as nominees for artist of the year.

The not-so-shocking surprise of the nomination announcements was the overhaul of awards this summer’s smash hit, Despacito, was nominated for. Becoming YouTube’s most viewed video of all time with over 4.4 billion views and counting, Despacito has clearly made a mark on the music industry. Whether or not this song is actually good or not is up to you to decide.

It goes without saying this year has a clearly different angle than many years past. With a song with nearly no english lyrics dominating, and having a mostly hip hop, rap, and R&B vibe; The Grammy’s are sure to be a shocker this year.

• The Grammy Nominations

Avengers: Infinity War

• The Grammy Nominations

Get to Know Michelle Cooper: SBO Artist 2018-2019

• The Grammy Nominations

Post Malone Concert in SLC

• The Grammy Nominations

Morp Music Review

• The Grammy Nominations

Meet Julia Gates: Singer, Painter, and Artist

• The Grammy Nominations

Get to Know MDT Member Ethan Kay

• The Grammy Nominations

The Stereotypes of Music

• The Grammy Nominations

2000’s nostalgia

• The Grammy Nominations

RHS Arts Department Takes Field Trip to BYU and Springville Art Museum

• The Grammy Nominations

J-Hope’s debut album ‘Hope World’ shoots to the top charts with its uplifting messages

The Grammy Nominations