The Halfway Point

Will Miles, Op-Ed/A&E Section Editor

At this point in the school year, we have roughly hit the halfway point. As soon as we come back from winter break, the semester will come to an end. By this point everyone should pretty much be settled in. Sophomores by now should know the in’s and out’s of the school, juniors are hitting their half way through high school mark and seniors are barely hanging by a string to get this last half of the year out of the way. So that begs the question: what is there to look forward to?

The second half of the school year is infamously known to drag out way longer than the first half, but it’s not just in your head. In fact, there are roughly 30 more days in the second semester than in the first, and that is not a small number when it comes to counting down the days. Another reason for the shift in time could be the lack of events. During the first half of the school year, there was so much to do. The weather was nice so that meant lots of time for outdoors activities, it was the beginning of the school year so everyone was super preoccupied with getting back into the groove of the school year, the homecoming dance, and the biggest chunk of time that just seemed to fly by was Silver Rush; taking up nearly a month of the first semester this was probably a source of time flying in school.

However, if you use your time effectively in the second half the year could fly by just like that. One of the first major events of the second half is Spirit Week. Spirit Week is a competition between all three classes to determine which class has the most spirit. This week is filled with events and activities to participate in that you don’t want to miss. Another great use of time would be planning for Prom. Prom is generally thought to be the most popular dance of the school year, and it’s no surprise how fun this time of year can be. When it comes to activities, Riverton High School offers a whole lot of different clubs and sports you can participate in. Becoming a fan of Riverton’s own basketball teams is a great way to spend a friday night or even becoming a part of a team is a great way to get involved and become a larger member of the student body. For instance, track and field is one of the most popular sports to join near the end of the school year. It’s a great way to kill some time, stay active, and stay involved.

The school calendar hosts a whole list of things to get excited for. The ideas listed and many more are a great way to make the most out of the last half of the school year.

• The Halfway Point

SBO Elections of the 2018-2019 School Year Result

• The Halfway Point

Xi Jinping, Kim Jong-un Relations

• The Halfway Point

Meet Julia Gates: Singer, Painter, and Artist

• The Halfway Point

How To Prevent/Overcome Senioritis As The School Year Comes To A Close

• The Halfway Point

“March for Our Lives” Protests in Utah

• The Halfway Point

Real Talk With Toya: Mutual Mormon Dating App

• The Halfway Point

The obsession teens have with social media, and the problem surrounding it.

• The Halfway Point

Federal Investigations are being held in Utah elementary and High Schools concerning 23 potential civil rights violations.

• The Halfway Point

A Step Towards a Life of Work

• The Halfway Point

Salt Lake City School District plans to cut one of their Dual-language classes from Emerson Elementary school, parents are outraged.

The Halfway Point