Tabula Rasa

Marima Jules, Staff Writer

How would it feel to start over? No mistakes. No shortcomings. No fights. No anxiety. And, finally, no evidence of any embarrassing moments. This is the concept John Locke coined as “tabula rasa” or, in other word, “blank slate”. According to the webiste “age-of-the-sage.org”, John Locke’s essay Essay Concerning Human Understanding stated the human mind at birth is a “complete, but receptive, blank state”, meaning that experiences implant knowledge. Locke spoke of this idea of being free and self-mastered. It would seem desirable to start over, but all these experiences are imprinted and possibly could be used for insight into other experiences. Most importantly, they can be used to be influential to others.

Riverton High School’s Tabula Rasa magazine is one way those experiences can influence others. The magazine started long ago along with the creation of the school. Mrs. Rush, started this magazine in Creative Writing 2. Haley Bolton, a staff writer, says that she got the idea from other schools who already had a literary magazine.  In 2001, they called the magazine Tabula Rasa but in 2012 it was called Masks. In 2013, it was called Thresholds. Allison Harvey, another staff writer for the magazine says that her favorite pieces would have to be those regarding slam poetry. Expounding on why she loves this type of poetry, Allison says, “It has such a nice rhythm to it and just flows really nicely. Slam poems usually have the most emotion behind them.”

Allison also confirms that tabula rasa means blank slate in Latin. Her favorite part would have to be reading and getting new perspectives on student’s writing. She says that she gets a “quick glance” of their minds when she reads their experiences. Haley says that Vanity from last year was her favorite piece. Sam Peterson, a senior from last year wrote her experience about having her grandpa die. She also says that she “deeply enjoys seeing others perspectives.” If you are debating getting or writing in the literary magazine, Haley says to absolutely, positively get it because it is a really good way to remember your peers. Although we are not able to erase all of our not so happy moments from Riverton, we can share them in hopes of comforting those who had been through similar experiences.

• Tabula Rasa

Meet Julia Gates: Singer, Painter, and Artist

• Tabula Rasa

Get to Know MDT Member Ethan Kay

• Tabula Rasa

The Stereotypes of Music

• Tabula Rasa

2000’s nostalgia

• Tabula Rasa

RHS Arts Department Takes Field Trip to BYU and Springville Art Museum

• Tabula Rasa

J-Hope’s debut album ‘Hope World’ shoots to the top charts with its uplifting messages

• Tabula Rasa

Planning School Dances

• Tabula Rasa

Red Gerard’s Rough Morning

• Tabula Rasa

The Utah Jazz are the hottest team in the NBA right now, and are making a push for the Playoff race.

• Tabula Rasa

The Olympic Opening Ceremony was focused on unity and hope for the future

Tabula Rasa