Silver Swap 2017

Dallin Haws, Staff Writer

As one of the biggest events of Silver Rush comes and goes, it brings out the best of all Riverton students

December 6th, a cold Wednesday night, was filled with the spirit of Silver Rush. The Silver Swap is one of the most anticipated events of the month. Watching dancers transform themselves into basketball players just as hilarious as it is cringy. Watching them struggle to dribble the ball as they bunch up as a horde is almost painful to view. Watching them double dribble the ball or even travel while ignorant refs do nothing might drive you insane (cough cough Wilson and Galley,) but through these 2 exciting hours of horrible basketball, drill came out victorious. Sadie Mcmorris has briefly described the silver swap as “the craziest thing i’ve participated in.”

The game portion is never high scoring, only scoring a couple of buckets through four quarters. Though the game is dragged on, it doesn’t mean it’s not exciting. With every bucket, the vast filled student sections erupts with cheers. Every shot almost seems like a game winner in a championship. Cheer and Drill battled all night, keeping a very close all night long. It came to down to whoever got double points. The refs made the decision that whoever made the first free throw would have double points. At this point in time, The cheer squad was up by a basket. Gabby Hindoian was chosen to shoot the free throw for the cheer squad, and Kaylee Mahoney was chosen for the Drill squab. Gabby’s shot when in and rimmed out, almost going in. The pressure then was on Kaylee to make the shot, knowing if she did, they would earn double points. She stepped up to the line, shot it, and sank it in the net. Though the basket didn’t count, they made it up on the next possession. They drove down the court and scored which counted for 4 points. The newest renewed score was 17-15 with drill on top. Suddenly things took a turn, a bribe was thrown into the game. The bribe was $1,000 check for cheer to shoot 3 free throws. Cheer made one but missed the 2 others. Eventually fate caught up to them, and Cheer could not make up difference. Drills sideline exploded in cheer as the clock ran to 0. Through these long 4 quarters of ball, Basketball wasn’t even the most important part of the whole night. It’s so much more than just sports.

The whole point of the silver swap is to raise money for our charity we picked for Silver Rush, Now I Can. Raising money for these families is something that the whole student body loves to do. At the end of two hours, we raised over $9,000. Riverton chooses to give because they want to, not because we need to.

• Silver Swap 2017

SBO Elections of the 2018-2019 School Year Result

• Silver Swap 2017

News

Overview of Ballot Initiatives

• Silver Swap 2017

Xi Jinping, Kim Jong-un Relations

• Silver Swap 2017

“March for Our Lives” Protests in Utah

• Silver Swap 2017

Salt Lake City School District plans to cut one of their Dual-language classes from Emerson Elementary school, parents are outraged.

• Silver Swap 2017

Obama Couple’s Portraits Draw Attention: Controversy

• Silver Swap 2017

Riverton High Lockdown Drill

• Silver Swap 2017

RHS Arts Department Takes Field Trip to BYU and Springville Art Museum

• Silver Swap 2017

The Effectiveness of Smiling

• Silver Swap 2017

Fun Facts With Matthew: The Attack of the Dead Men

Silver Swap 2017