The Delights of Thanksgiving

Denelle Durling, Editor In Chief

Ah yes, Christmas. The best time of year, a time where everyone seems to be so happy and the spirit of giving is at its peak. Sales are the best they get the entire year. You get to spend time with friends and family and give and receive fun gifts. There are parties and decorations to outshine parties and decorations the rest of the year. There are playlists upon playlists of music that promotes holiday cheer. I can’t wait to start this season–wait what? What’s Thanksgiving?

Due to society’s fanatical obsession with Christmas, Thanksgiving is sadly overlooked and unappreciated. But it’s such a fun holiday, that this needs to change. Why is Thanksgiving so great you ask?

First, there is food. A lot of food. There is so much food that even if you are a picky eater, you are still bound to find something you like. The delicious concoctions present at any decent Thanksgiving feast include turkey, stuffing, sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, gravy, rolls, salad, pie, lots of pie, pumpkin pie, banana cream pie, chocolate pie, and so many different dishes of pure, sublime deliciousness. Thanksgiving came from appreciation for food, so really it is no surprise that such an abundance of food is present at such a holiday. Jaiden Beckstead (10) says that she loves that she can “eat as much as she wants and nobody judges”, which is honestly a great perk to this great holiday. Emily Hollinger (11) says that she loves the turkey, and that is her favorite part of Thanksgiving.

Of course, it’s not just the food that makes this holiday great. The second thing is the time you get to spend with the people you love, whether it be family or friends. Most people have family gatherings for Thanksgiving, though you will only enjoy this if you love your extended family. This, and many more reasons, cause people to throw a “Friendsgiving”, which is a fun way to get with your friends and eat a lot of good food together. This could be an excuse to have your long-postponed girls night in (or out, if you opt for a restaurant instead of a home-cooked meal), or just a fun time with friends. Many people do potluck, but you don’t have to.

The third reason is the time off from school. You get an entire three extra days added to your weekend to spend relaxing and most likely procrastinating that never-ending pile of homework. Who doesn’t love breaks from school? Some people will spend it reading, others watching Netflix, others will be outdoors, playing sports, or just enjoying nature. Some will be with their friends or family 24/7. No matter what you choose to do with it, you get some you-time with your holiday.

So show Thanksgiving a little more gratitude, that’s what it’s all about, isn’t it?

• The Delights of Thanksgiving

Kindness Crew

• The Delights of Thanksgiving

The Halfway Point

• The Delights of Thanksgiving

Tabula Rasa

• The Delights of Thanksgiving

The Temple Lights

• The Delights of Thanksgiving

The Calm Before the Storm

• The Delights of Thanksgiving

Seven Things That Are A Must Over The Christmas Break

• The Delights of Thanksgiving

GOTCHA!

• The Delights of Thanksgiving

Multifarious Assembly

• The Delights of Thanksgiving

Holiday Time

• The Delights of Thanksgiving

Who is Grouplove?

The Delights of Thanksgiving