Music: The Biggest Part of Our Lives

Mariano Lopez, Staff Writer

Music has been a large part of nearly every culture for thousands of years. There is no “exact date” that music started but it has come to almost dominate human history in a way. When we decide to celebrate a birthday, what do we do? We play music and sing a song. What about when we get married? We yet again play music. In some cultures when a person becomes deceased they play music or sing at the funeral. Why do we like music so much?

Has music influenced us so much that we almost abide to it and live under it’s rule? We’re all familiar how when we listen to music, it can motivate us and help us concentrate when we’re studying. Music has dictated our history in a way, for example “gangsta rap” back in the 90’s. A great deal of controversy occurred over this genre of rap which lyrically emphasized the “gangster lifestyle”. Rappers such as Tupac, The Notorious B.I.G., and the rap group N.W.A. were all generalized as bad influences by both religious leaders and politicians.

Media outlets demonized the artists as violent, misogynistic, and homophobic thugs. Now how different would the twentieth century be had music like that had never existed? That era has been stapled into American history and has influenced many of today’s artists with many pop culture references in media like television. What if music never existed in the first place?

There wouldn’t even be soundtracks for movies, meaning you wouldn’t feel the emotions as much when a character says something motivational or when a big plot twist is revealed. Try to think of the last movie you watched that didn’t feature music or any sort of musical notes to indicate or mark an event in the movie. It’s impossible, which really goes to show how much music has snuck into our daily lives without us realizing it.

Let’s take this onto a larger scale. What about entire nations and their anthems? Say the United States and the Star Spangled Banner, why do we associate our country with a song that predates to the 1800’s? The anthem unifies our country, and creates patriotic feelings. It reminds the nation of our values, and what we came from.

How about Riverton High School? I wanted to know how music has played a role in the lives and careers of our very own teachers, so I went asked our faculty. Mr. Ramjoue, a language arts teacher with a passion for music and a classy sense of style said that music “connects to students, and if I can connect with students through music then it does have some teaching value”. I then asked Coach Struck, one of the health teachers and volleyball coach at Riverton High. “As a P.E. teacher it can motivate students and as a health teacher it can calm students down”.

I then asked them to recall a special event, like a birthday or wedding, and tell me if music was played there. Both of them replied that there was indeed music. When asked when the last time they listened to music was, both of them said they had listened to music in that same day. Even while I was interviewing Mr. Ramjoue music was playing, which shows how much influence and presence music has. Music is everywhere and is a much bigger presence in our lives than we realise.

• Music: The Biggest Part of Our Lives

Kindness Crew

• Music: The Biggest Part of Our Lives

The Halfway Point

• Music: The Biggest Part of Our Lives

Tabula Rasa

• Music: The Biggest Part of Our Lives

The Temple Lights

• Music: The Biggest Part of Our Lives

The Calm Before the Storm

• Music: The Biggest Part of Our Lives

Seven Things That Are A Must Over The Christmas Break

• Music: The Biggest Part of Our Lives

GOTCHA!

• Music: The Biggest Part of Our Lives

Multifarious Assembly

• Music: The Biggest Part of Our Lives

Holiday Time

• Music: The Biggest Part of Our Lives

Who is Grouplove?

Music: The Biggest Part of Our Lives