Why Ukulele Club Needs to Come Back

Allie Harvey, Staff Writer

Riverton High offers 20+ clubs, but Ukulele Club is missing from the ranks this year. Ukulele Club was a club founded on a love for music, learning, and bettering the skills of each individual person. Many people joined the club with the intention to become a ukulele master, learn more than Somewhere Over The Rainbow, and in most cases, learn more than four chords. Most importantly, Ukulele Club embraced the differences in the participants. We strummed together to help others learn new patterns, songs and chords. Our Tuesday afternoons were filled with unique melodies and genuine conversation.

The majority of my school year last year was spent hopping from club to club. I joined sixteen sophomore year, but I wouldn’t recommend it. When I first heard about the Ukulele Club, I didn’t have a ukulele and had no idea what a chord progression was. My family had a family uke, but I struggled to motivate myself to learn something entirely foreign to me. Regardless, I decided to go to the first meeting uke-less. I was greeted by a variety of students at varying skill levels. The former President of the club, Isaac Dejesus went around the room and adjusted the way we were holding our ukulele, showed us new chords, new strum patterns. I fell in love with the ukulele, and was totally enthralled to be in a club where gratification came so easily.

Due to a miscommunication, Ukulele Club is no longer an official arrangement. Ukulele Icon, Amelia Askee (11) had only been playing the ukulele for a year when she initially joined the club. When asked about the club she responded saying, ¨My favorite part of the club was that we could all hang out as equals and it didn’t matter who had more experience or who was better. I´d tell people who are thinking about joining to go for it! It´s a nice little chill club  with some relaxing vibes and cool people.¨

As of right now, Riverton High will not  be graced with the existence of the Ukulele Club for the 2017-2018 school year, but could be easily reformed if enough interest surrounded the club. Either way, those who were a part of the organization in previous years have a special place in their heart for the club and the individuals that participated.

Allie Harvey, Assistant Editor

Allie Harvey is a junior at Riverton with a love for all dogs. This is her first year on the paper staff and her second year on the Tabula Rasa staff....

• Why Ukulele Club Needs to Come Back

News

Utah counseling firm to move closer to homeless shelter

• Why Ukulele Club Needs to Come Back

George H.W. Bush dies at age 94 in Houston, Texas

• Why Ukulele Club Needs to Come Back

Sports & Clubs

Basketball season has begun

• Why Ukulele Club Needs to Come Back

Riverton High School’s In the Heights gave students opportunity to be apart of a community

• Why Ukulele Club Needs to Come Back

The rising popularity of E-Cigarettes in high schools

• Why Ukulele Club Needs to Come Back

Elon Musk thinks we should work more

• Why Ukulele Club Needs to Come Back

Opinion & Advice

Educating people on climate change could save the planet

• Why Ukulele Club Needs to Come Back

Sports & Clubs

Riverton swim looks to top eleven teams at Bingham Invite

• Why Ukulele Club Needs to Come Back

Sports & Clubs

Youth Alive program at RHS

• Why Ukulele Club Needs to Come Back

RHS Shooting Club gives students valuable opportunities

Why Ukulele Club Needs to Come Back