Riverton’s Varsity girls tennis closes Regions in 1st place, but they ain’t done yet.

Dallin Haws, Staff Writer

Tennis has been around for a very long time, estimated that it was first played around 1859 to 1865. To people that don’t play tennis, some may say that tennis is a pointless sport, but to others some may say that is a physically taxing sport that requires a specific skill set. Marimee Jules has said that “I think it’s amazing how our girls come together and train rigorously to participate in a rigorous sport such as tennis, shows great teamwork”. And for Riverton´s Girl´s varsity team, they’ve done a lot this last season.

Girls tennis has been playing and practicing ever since the 1st of August. Playing mostly everyday, they have been preparing for these types of competitions. Throughout the season, they has been demolishing everyone they played. During regions, that dominance showed by taking the Regional Competition in 1st place, blowing away Herriman and Copper Hills. Most the girls on the team finished 1st in their bracket. Alyssa Sinks, a senior, has said that was regionals was “Awesome! Taking first is regions was so cool!”. Now with the last week victory, they moved on to state competition for a shot at a state win.

State competitions started on October 4th. Alyssa Sinks and Delaney Harris lost in their first doubles match against Bingham while in the first round. Paige Hogan and Lexi Robbins beat out Fremont in the first round for doubles, but fell to Pleasant Grove. Hailey Anderson played in the 2nd Singles. With an impressive couple of wins, she managed to make it into the Semifinals, but then fell to Lone Peak. Madi Burke played in the 3rd singles, making it to the second round and falling to American Fork. Mia Seegmiller played in 1st Singles making it to 2nd round, but lost to Hillcrest.

Throughout the season, these ladies have sacrificed many hours of their lives to improve upon something that they loved. They reached regions and with a huge win, they moved onto state. Even though most lost, it is nothing to be ashamed of. Reaching state is a huge accomplishment. Only the best of the best reach state, and that’s definitely who they are.

• Riverton’s Varsity girls tennis closes Regions in 1st place, but they ain’t done yet.

News

The Outlet Killer

Opinion & Advice

Is RHS Football Getting Better?

No Food or Drink on the Second Floor

Behind the scenes on picking the charity for Silver Rush

Is it Any Good?

Lostboycrow: The Iconic Sound You’re Missing Out On

A Brief Glance to the Past

Opinion & Advice

A Separate Life

Riverdale

Imagine Dragons: Evolve World Tour 2017 @ Usana