Tail of the K9s

Back to Article
Back to Article

Tail of the K9s

Aimee Scott

Every month the National Honor Society participates in a service project for various organizations. In April, activities director, Brooklyn Darby, thought it would be a fun change for the students to focus on how they can serve their own homes. She arranged for Red Cross Disaster Program Manager, Tom Aston, to speak to the members about how you can prepare for emergencies in your home.

Monique Welker said that she really enjoyed coming to this meeting because, “I realized that there is a lot that I need to do to be prepared for an emergency evacuation. But past my own preparation, I realized how easily I can be involved with aiding my community and helping them to be prepared for the unexpected. I look forward to being more involved and joining the Red Cross Community!” Morgan Kane expressed that she, “loved how he said that we need to be prepared for what’s to come. He said that we need to be prepared to help others in times of urgency.”

Mr. Aston surprised the students with two special guests Ellie and Scout. These dogs are search and rescue dogs for the Red Cross program. When asked his opinion about the dogs, Ethan Andrews said they were, “Wicked cool.” And Matthew Van Detta thought, “The dogs were beautiful” Teagan Perry found it interesting that Mr. Aston said, “The animals don’t have “manners” like your dog (at home) might. He can’t tell his dog not to get on a table or in a building where they are trying to find someone. The dog might not think he could get on the table even if that was what he had to do. It shows how every situation requires different training and preparation, and that also applies to the animals and I thought that was really cool.”

Ellie is the great-granddaughter of Bretagne, the last surviving 9/11 rescue dog. Bretagne was euthanized last year because she was suffering from old age (16 years.) She belongs to Mr. Aston, who sold her to the government for a dollar so she would become government property and could retire and live with Mr. Aston and the end of her career.

There are many qualifications to become a disaster search and rescue dog. Type I Disaster dogs need to be able to, “Search 6,000- 15,000 square feet area of partially or completely collapsed structures and locate live human scent. Requires the search animal to perform to those standards outside the direct supervision and guidance of the handler, and to successfully search more difficult rescue simulation courses. Type II Disaster- Search 3,500- 5,000 square feet area of partially or completely collapsed structures and locate live human scent. Requires the search animal to perform to specific standards under the handler’s direct supervision and guidance.”

If you are interested in volunteer opportunities you can visit redcross.org/local/utah.

Aimee Scott, Sports & Clubs / Humor Editor

Aimee Scott is the oldest of six children, her family members are her best friends. Scoring 99% “Blue” on the Hartman personality color code, she lives...

• Tail of the K9s

George H.W. Bush dies at age 94 in Houston, Texas

• Tail of the K9s

The rising popularity of E-Cigarettes in high schools

• Tail of the K9s

Elon Musk thinks we should work more

• Tail of the K9s

Flu season: Prevention and treatment

• Tail of the K9s

Celebrity endorsements in elections

• Tail of the K9s

Need to know info about roller derby

• Tail of the K9s

Why seniors should register to vote

• Tail of the K9s

Homework overload: students quitting extracurriculars

• Tail of the K9s

PEHP’s new option

• Tail of the K9s

Tea Time with Mr. Gunther

Tail of the K9s