More than meets the eye

Aimee Scott, Opinion/Advice & Humor Editor

If you look somewhere beyond the rainbow, you’ll discover there are more qualities to our favorite colors than meets the eye.

People who are partial to purple are sensitive, compassionate, understanding, supportive, gentle and free spirit- love to be unconventional, deal positively with adversity, visionary with high dreams and ambitions

“It’s kinda of just always been my favorite color. I liked it a lot when I was younger mainly because it was Riverton’s colors but now I just simply like the color.” -Jenna Morrill

“When I was younger my dad always told me that blue had to be my favorite color because we are byu fans and I wasn’t allowed to like “girly colors.” And when I was eleven I played on a softball team and we were purple. I kinda just figured that it was close enough to blue and wasn’t too girly.” -Kaylee Christiansen

Fun facts about the color purple (no, not the movie): Originally, purple came from a dye made from the mucus glands of a tropical sea snail known as the murex. Purple is the colour for epilepsy awareness because of it’s association with lavender, which is a traditional herbal treatment for the disease. You may have heard that nothing rhymes with purple, but the poem unit in language arts is about to get a little easier. Curple is a strap under the girth of a horse’s saddle, which stops the saddle from kicking forward and hirple is to walk with a limp.

People who are fond of the color blue live from their heart, are enthusiastic, optimistic, passionate, inspirational and fun loving, and have a thirst for knowledge.

To find out the favorite colors of students, I decided to tweet. “If you want to be best friends please DM me your favorite color!” Send. Blue was by far the most popular response I received. I chose the first person to respond to tell me the reason they liked the color or a favorite experience. Becca Rossiter said, “I honestly like blue because I like the way it looks on me. One time I was camping, and I realized everything I was wearing was blue. So that was funny.”

In 1994, Binney & Smith Inc. introduced Magic Scents Crayons. Most of them were food scented, “Blueberry” was chosen for the blue crayon. Soon after, there were many concerned parents reporting that their children were eating the food-scented crayons, so the food scents were retired and replaced with non-food scents. Blue became “new car.” Personally, I think that’s a little out of the blue and doesn’t really make sense.

If your eyes like the color green you are: practical, down-to-earth, strive for balance, kind, generous, compassionate, pay attention to small details, and analytical.

“The first time I saw a girl sneeze and snot was everywhere, that’s when I knew green was my color” -Dakota Beck

Before the 1950’s Santa’s suit was originally green until Coca-Cola bought him out and changed his suit to red. Green is the colour used for night vision goggles because the human eye is most sensitive and able to distinguish the most shades in that colour. The Jolly Green Giant is an excellent gardener because he has two green thumbs.

If your favorite color is yellow people describe you as easy going, team player, compassionate, charismatic, enthusiastic, positive, playful, sociable, carefree.

Why were post it notes originally yellow? The creators of post-it notes answered this question via twitter, their response was:

“We were in the labs and if you imagine, this is my lab here, and then there’s a corridor, and then there’s another lab. They happened to have some scrap yellow paper – laughs – it’s absolutely true.”

“They had some scrap yellow paper – that’s why they were yellow; and when we went back and said ‘hey guys, you got any more scrap yellow paper?’ they said ‘you want any more go buy it yourself’, and that’s what we did, and that’s why they were yellow.”

So, it had nothing to do with marketing strategies. It just kind of stuck.

If your favorite color is orange your friends would describe you as the life of the party because of your love for socializing.You are warm, optimistic, extroverted and flamboyant.

Justin Roylance says that one of the reasons orange is his favorite color is, “Because when the trees change colors in the fall, I love how cool the orange leaves look. The orange leaves just pop out for my eyes. I could look at them all day! Another weird reason I like the color orange is because I love oranges. The orange flavor just makes me like the color orange even more.”

Orange is the only color of the spectrum whose name came from a fruit. Safety orange” is used to set objects apart from their surroundings, most commonly in hunting and construction zone marking devices. Ironically, prisoners who choose to make the United States an unsafe place wear uniforms consisting of an orange scrub set to make escape more difficult because of the color’s distinctive recognition.

I tried thinking of some type of wordplay, but they all turned out rotten because nothing rhymes with orange.

If pink is your favorite: people describe you as friendly and approachable, others are drawn to your warmth and softness, in touch with your femininity, romantic and sensitive, methodical and organized, tend to be naive and sweet.

“When I was a little girl I loved princesses. My favorite princess was Aurora from Sleeping Beauty. She had a pink dress and in my mind that meant pink was her favorite color. Because pink was her favorite color it had to also be mine. Ever since then pink has been my favorite!” -Marin Smith

This color is getting harder to identify (thanks Victoria Secret) and is typically seen as a feminine color. Warning: I’m about to rock your world. A Ladies’ Home Journal article written in June 1918 said, “The generally accepted rule is pink for the boys, and blue for the girls. The reason is that pink, being a more decided and stronger color, is more suitable for the boy, while blue, which is more delicate and dainty, is prettier for the girl.” The switch came in the 1980s when prenatal testing was developed. The singer/songwriter P!nk was actually named Alecia Beth Moore and took her stage name from Mr Pink in the film, Reservoir Dogs. The color pink takes its name from the flower called a pink. No one really knows how this  flower got its name, but the Oxford Dictionary suggests it may be linked with the use of ‘pink’ for a small, half-closed eye.

If your favorite color is red you know what you want and how to get it. You are extremely decisive and goal-oriented. You are independent and like to take charge of situations. You love challenges, variety and change. Radiate energy, courageous and confident.

When asked his favorite story about the color red, Nathan Hammond thought of a time he learned in that light waves absorb or reflect off an object and we see the color the object reflects. The actual color of an object is the color it absorbs. Nathan said he had “an identity crisis” because he realized his hair is not really red, but cyan.  

In Russia, the word for “red” means beautiful. I think it would be safe to assume that a lot of Russian guys don’t get left on “read.”

• More than meets the eye

Drop Comics

• More than meets the eye

Drop Comics

• More than meets the eye

Drop Comics

• More than meets the eye

Drop Comics

• More than meets the eye

5 Songs For Your Weekend

• More than meets the eye

For Your Eyez Only — Good or Bad?

• More than meets the eye

One Last Text

• More than meets the eye

Hacksaw Ridge: A Movie Review

• More than meets the eye

The progression of EDM

• More than meets the eye

Kid gets paid $10,000 for hacking Instagram

More than meets the eye