The progression of EDM

Abe Ayala, Staff Writer

Electronic Dance Music (EDM) is everywhere these days, you hear it in Movies, on TV commercials, and you may even have some on your phone. EDM is frequently played on the radio as well, and it is slowly gaining more and more popularity. Whether you like EDM or not, chances are you listen to, maybe without even knowing.

EDM has quickly become one of the most popular music genres in the world. Europe has been huge in the EDM scene for years, and has produced some of the biggest names in EDM. One these names is David Guetta, who has produced some of the most well-known tracks in the last couple of years. In an interview with Rolling Stone, David Guetta was asked what the EDM scene in Paris was like when he was coming up “For years, I was playing only in gay clubs, because house music was only being played in gay clubs.”

Some people say all EDM the sounds the same, but in reality, EDM has plenty of different sub-genres. Some of the biggest sub-genres in EDM are trance, dubstep, and house. Each sub-genre differs from the others, dubstep being more upbeat than trance, which is more laid back and “chill.” If you don’t like one type of EDM, go and try a different style.

EDM has some the biggest artists in the world, including Calvin Harris, Skrillex, Martin Garrix, and many more. Although some of these artists may not be that popular in the U.S, a lot of them are extremely popular in other countries. Martin Garrix is one the youngest (19 years old) and most talented producers/DJs in EDM right now. Skrillex is a well-known producer/DJ in the United States, and he has helped  EDM become more mainstream. Calvin Harris has also helped EDM grow in America, with songs like Summer, I Need Your Love, and Feel So Close. Because of producers like these, EDM is slowly but surely becoming a part of mainstream pop culture. Be sure to keep an eye out for it yourself.

• The progression of EDM

Drop Comics

• The progression of EDM

Drop Comics

• The progression of EDM

Drop Comics

• The progression of EDM

Drop Comics

• The progression of EDM

5 Songs For Your Weekend

• The progression of EDM

For Your Eyez Only — Good or Bad?

• The progression of EDM

One Last Text

• The progression of EDM

More than meets the eye

• The progression of EDM

Hacksaw Ridge: A Movie Review

• The progression of EDM

Kid gets paid $10,000 for hacking Instagram

The progression of EDM