A comparison of Taco Time and Taco Bell in Riverton

Nicole McDonald, Staff Writer

Traditional American TacoWhere do you go when you’re hungry for a taco? This can be a simple question or can it be rather complicated. Many of us take time to think about where we will go to get that taco we are hungry for. High school students take time to make the decision based on how much money they have in their pocket.

I decided to compare Taco Time and Taco Bell locations in the Riverton area. I evaluated the menu, and the number of items offered, street access to the location, price, portion size, hours of operation, and overall taste. Knowing what the two different franchises offer would be helpful in making decisions about where I go for that taco I’m hungry for.

Taco Time opened their first location in Tacoma, Washington in 1962 and now has over 300 locations throughout the United States and Canada. Taco Time in Riverton is located at 1939 west 12600 south and is on the south side of the road. Exiting this location is a little difficult if you are turning left onto 12600 south. Their hours are from 8:00 am to 11:00pm Monday through Saturday. They offer thirty-five different menu items including tacos, burritos, breakfast items, desserts, and salads. They offer specialty drinks and free refills of soft drinks. Prices vary from value items, combo meals, and kid’s meals. Their portion sizes are fairly large, and over all I have found their food tasty and fresh.

Taco Bell opened their first location in Downey, California in 1962, and they now have over 6,500 locations, mostly in the United States. Taco Bell in Riverton is located at 12642 South Redwood Road in Riverton. You can access this location from streets on the south or east side. They are open Sunday through Saturday and offer breakfast. There are twenty-nine items on their menu, and they offer family pack meals. Their portion sizes are smaller but significantly less in price than Taco Time. Taco Bell claims that they sell two billion tacos and one billion burritos each year. Taco Bell constantly advertises on television, and tempts customers with their new specialty items. They also offer specialty drinks and free refills on sodas. I personally think the taste is as good, as or a little better than Taco Time.

I randomly asked about fifteen people of various ages which they would choose: Taco Time or Taco Bell of Riverton. I did not ask for their names or ages, I simply asked them based on taste, quality, location, menu items, hours of operation, portion size and overall value where would they go for a taco. Out of my fifteen survey participants twelve said Taco Bell.

As a high school student looking for a quick bite to eat on my thirty minute lunch, I w
ould have to choose Taco Bell over Taco Time. I can enter and exit Taco Bell quicker, and get a couple of cheap tacos that taste good and be on my way. Overall price, location, taste and menu options help make my decision. I also eat at Taco Time on weekends and have no real complaints to make. My food has always tasted fresh and service has been good.