• Chapters
    • Familiar to Smashing Pumpkins fans
    • Releases

Silversun Pickups evokes Smashing Pumpkins with its own unique twist

March 7, 2015

Silversun Pickups at Coachella 2009.jpg

Do you like The Smashing Pumpkins? Do you wish The Smashing Pumpkins had more songs? Well now there is. Well not really, but this band is pretty much as close to The Smashing Pumpkins as you can get.

Silversun Pickups are an alternative rock band from Los Angeles. They formed in 2002. The members in the band are: Brian Aubert who plays the lead guitar and is the lead vocals, Nikki Monninger who is the bassist and backing vocals, Chris Guanlao who plays the drums, and Joe Lester who is the rhythm guitarist and plays the keyboard.

Silversun Pickups have released three full length albums. Carnavas released on July 26, 2006, Swoon released on April 14, 2009, and Neck of the Woods released on May 8, 2012. Silversun Pickups also have one EP called Pikul that was released in July 2005. They also have a three-song ten inch vinyl that was recorded for a Black Friday event on November 25, 2011. The vinyl is titled Seasick. Their most recent release was their compilation album called The Singles Collection released on February 25, 2014 in regular format, and seven inch vinyl.

Familiar to Smashing Pumpkins fans

A Rolling Stone Review by Evan Serpick said that  “things take off with ‘Well Thought Out Twinkles,’ a surge of guitar squalls and male-female vocals that sounds like what might have happened if the Smashing Pumpkins had driven their ice cream cart out West.”

Another review on NPR Song of the Day by John Richards says  “Silversun Pickups brings to mind a sort of alternate-universe Smashing Pumpkins.”

Releases

The Carnavas album has eleven tracks on it, including two more bonus bonus tracks that come on the seven inch vinyl format for the album. The Carnavas album features the singles: “Well Thought Out Twinkles”, “Little Lover’s So Polite”, “Lazy Eye” and “Future Foe Scenarios”. Two of the Four singles on the Carnavas album, “Well Thought Out Twinkles”, and “Lazy eye”, were successful singles on the U.S. Modern Rock chart. “Lazy Eye” made it to hit number five in 2007, and “Well thought Out Twinkles” made it to hit number nine in 2008.

The Swoon album has ten tracks on it including six more B-sides. The B-side “Currency of Love” is an iTunes bonus song. The B-side “Ne Plus Ultra” is only available if you have the limited edition promo code. The B-sides “Seasick”, “Broken Bottles”, and “Ribbons and Detours” can be found on the Seasick B-side album that is in regular and seven inch vinyl format. The last B-side “Devil’s Cup” can be found on The Singles Collection album. The Swoon album has seven singles: “There’s No Secrets This Year”, “The Royal We”, “It’s Nice to Know You Work Alone”, “Panic Switch”, “Seasick”, “Broken Bottles”, and “Ribbons and Detours”.

The Neck of the Woods album has eleven tracks on it. The album reached number one on the U.S. Alternative Albums Billboard at the top of its debut.  Matt Collar  of Allmusic awarded the album four out of five stars and stated, “building upon Swoons layered melodicism and once again showcasing lead singer/songwriter Brian Aubert’s knack for evocative, introspective lyrics and fiery, multi-dubbed guitar parts, Neck of the Woods is an even more infectious and nuanced affair.” The Neck of the Woods album has two singles on it: “Bloody Mary (Nerve Endings)”, and “The Pit”.

The Silver Scribe • Copyright 2019 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in