Get to know your 2017-18 Student Body Officers!

Haley Bolton, Editor in Chief

The 2018 student body elections have recently come to a close, after a week of panels, booths and candy bribery, the student body at Riverton has now chosen the five students that they want to have represent RHS for the 2017-2018 school year. Those five are, in no particular order, Brian Pham, Lizzy Wood, Matt Van Detta, Mckay Kimball and Hunter Gibbons. For the juniors, these are all familiar faces, but for next years incoming sophomores and juniors, the five are lesser known. I decided to ask each of the SBO’s 2-3 questions about themselves and Riverton to provide those who don’t know them with some information about who is leading our school.

Brian Pham:

Question 1: If you were in a room full of incoming sophomores, what is the first thing you would tell them? (Aside from name/basics)

“I’d tell them to not take high school too seriously. Of course academics are important, but enjoy the time you spend at Riverton. Go talk to someone you’ve never met. Go try something new. Go have as much fun as you possibly can. The saying I live by is: sleep more than you study, study more than you party, party as much as you possibly can.”

Question 2: What is the most challenging part of being a member of student government?

“I’d say Silverrush, it’s challenging because you have no time, sleep or social life. It’s hard to keep up with academics when you’re giving your all for Silverrush. It’s the most challenging, but easily the most rewarding. I wouldn’t trade the experience of Silverrush for anything.”

Question 3: Why Ham?

“Deli meats are my passion.”

Lizzy Wood:

Question 1: If you had to describe yourself in 10 words or less, what words would you use?

“Short spunky girl who laughs a lot!”

Question 2: Besides Silverrush, what is your favorite thing about Riverton High?

“My favorite part about Riverton is the friendliness! I feel like I could go and talk to anyone and they would be willing to talk to me and and get to know me! There is definitely a different atmosphere at Riverton because everyone is just so kind and loving! And I feel like everyone is watching out for each other! There aren’t any kind of feuds between groups of kids or anything! It’s a safe place to be! Every time I am there I feel at home!”

Question 3: Is there anything specific you want the incoming sophomores or student body as a whole to know about you?

“I want people to know that they can come to me with anything! I love to listen to people and help them out to the best of my ability! I want kids to know that I am their friend and I am there for them! I’m rooting for kids to have a good high school experience!”

Matt Van Detta

Question 1: What is the best part of being on Student Government?

“I think the best part is that we, as a whole, look forward to planning our events and look forward to coming to school and look forward to meeting new people, the best thing about being apart of student gov is that I’m given a family that loves to serve the student body!”

Question 2: You notice that attendance is at an all time low, what would you suggest to get students more involved and encourage them to attend more?

“Always try to make things as exciting as possible and inviting of course, but also maybe try things like lunchroom activities that engages all classes to get everyone involved more!”

Mckay Kimball

Question 1: What is your favorite past time, and how do you plan on making time for it along with being an SBO?

“Well I’m on the football team, and I really love that, and I know my schedule will be tight during the season and parts of the summer, but summer practices are usually early, so I’ll be able to get to SBO meetings and work to schedule those, and then I’ll work hard in my 2 periods of student gov to get what I need to do done, so I’ll still be able to go to practice and have time for homework and other things after school!”

Question 2: If you were asked to describe Riverton High to someone from another school, how would you describe it?

“Riverton is extraordinary, the student body is so nice and caring and accepting, and super generous too. Everyone just sorta looks after each other, which I think is awesome and a lot of other schools don’t have that kind of closeness, and that’s what makes Riverton really special.”

Hunter Gibbons

Question 1: Out of all of the candidates in the top 10, who were you rooting for the most?

“I would have to say I was rooting for all of them equally cause all of them are great people and they all deserved this chance i was given and working with any of them would have been amazing!”

Question 2: What is the one thing you would tell all incoming sophomores if you could?

“I’d want all of them to know that I’m here for them, to be their friend, and if they need anyone to talk to I’m here.”

The student body officers are all extremely excited to lead Riverton High and make next year as enjoyable as possible. If you see one of them in the halls or at an event be sure to say hello and get to know your SBO.

• Get to know your 2017-18 Student Body Officers!

News

There is Always Hope

Humor

Eight Year Old Boy’s Hunger Serves as a Driving Force

Drop Comics

Drop Comics

Drop Comics

Drop Comics

The Future of Tacos is Upon Us.

Opinion & Advice

How to: Handle Unwanted PDA

5 Songs For Your Weekend

Title IX