Saying Yes to the Dress

Aimee Scott, Sports/Clubs and Humor Editor

Go to Dollar Store to recreate something you have pinned to your “Promposals” Pinterest board. Check. Ask date to dance five months in advance. Check. The next thing you need is the perfect dress. You turn to your Instagram feed and “come across” (a.k.a use your 21st century teenage girl/private investigator stalking skills until you find) a picture of a pretty Riverton girl wearing a formal dress advertising to use her code to get a discount at various dress stores. Now you have an idea of what you want, but why do so many girls have dress codes? And what exactly is a dress representative?

Dress collective dress representative, Maddi Winterbottom, says that her job as a dress representative is to, “Help other girls find super cute dresses, and helping them get them for cheap!” She loves when they ask her to go with them or ask her opinion on the different dresses, and then how excited they are when they find the perfect one. Maddi chose to be a dress representative because, “I thought it would be fun to participate in the photo shoots, and I needed a new way of getting dresses for the dances instead of finding them last minute.”

When asked her opinion, Katarina Hunt responded by saying, “First and foremost, the best part of being a dress rep is you get to play dress up all the time like the good old days. I never knew I would become one until the owner came to me and asked me if I wanted to be one and ever since then it’s been so fun! I’ve gotten to make new friends through the shoots and make sure that everyone around me has the chance to get the dress that they love! Being a dress rep. for Bling It On is just so so much fun and I absolutely love it!”

Grace Ethington shared that one of her favorite experiences was, “The last photoshoot I did was outdoors in a giant shopping container that had been renovated into a photo studio, and it was SO COLD! The temperature was probably no more than 20 degrees outside, and we were shooting in these tiny dresses! Although it was cold, I still had a blast with the other models!”

One of the hardest parts about planning school dances is deciding what to do for the day date. Maddi’s shared that one of her favorite day dates was Junior prom. “I was in a group with all of my best friends, and we made a total mess painting and dying Easter eggs. Then after we got cleaned up we went to Airborne!”

Katarina’s favorite day activity was her junior year homecoming date when her entire group went to Lagoon. She said, “For me, roller coasters are my absolute favorite and I could never get enough of them, so when I heard we would be going to Lagoon, I was so happy! The entire time there was always laughter and smiles exchanged. My date couldn’t have made me have a better time, I will never forget how excited and fun that day was!”

Grace’s number one day date was the last girl’s pref. date. “Our huge group did a scavenger hunt. We split up in teams and had to do crazy stuff like ride the Ferris wheel at Scheels or sing happy birthday to a stranger. It was fun way to get to know my date!”

The best answer to the question of “what is a dress representative?” is that they’re the fairy godmothers you wished for when you were little. Ladies, if you need help saying yes to the dress or you want great discounts, make sure you talk to one of these girls!

• Saying Yes to the Dress

The Future of Tacos is Upon Us.

• Saying Yes to the Dress

Opinion & Advice

How to: Handle Unwanted PDA

• Saying Yes to the Dress

5 Songs For Your Weekend

• Saying Yes to the Dress

Title IX

• Saying Yes to the Dress

For Your Eyez Only — Good or Bad?

• Saying Yes to the Dress

Why tweens ruin everything: an open letter

• Saying Yes to the Dress

NBA Stars Can’t Breathe

• Saying Yes to the Dress

Hot or Not: Hot Cheetos

• Saying Yes to the Dress

One Last Text

• Saying Yes to the Dress

Allurement of Life

Saying Yes to the Dress