Hacksaw Ridge: A Movie Review

Kassidy Holt, Staff Writer

On September 4, 2016 Mel Gibson premiered his war film titled Hacksaw Ridge. The newly released movie quickly became well known, and a crowd favorite. In this shocking story Desmond Doss, a young man growing up in Lynchburg, Virginia, becomes an army medic in world war two. His desire to work in medicine was sparked when he saved a stranger’s life after witnessing a car accident. After rushing the man to the hospital, Doss became acquainted with Dorothy, a newly trained nurse. Doss and Dorothy began dating and soon fell in love.

Doss grew up in a Christian home with a loving mother, his father who is a world war one veteran, and his brother Hal. Ever since a young age, Doss has had a strong belief that taking another man’s life is one of the worst sins you can commit. Because of this, everyone was in disbelief when they heard that Doss was going to war.

It was no secret that Doss was always different from all of the other men training to fight for our country, but when Doss announced that he refused to carry any type of weapon everyone was shocked. He believed that he could still go to war and defend his country without taking another man’s life. The film then goes on to show many cases where Doss truly risked his own life in near death experiences to save those around him.

These scenes give us a small glimpse into the reality that is war, and what these brave individuals go through that choose to fight for our country. By the end of the movie, Doss is chosen to receive the medal of honor for saving the lives of 75 men, without using a single weapon or going against any of his beliefs. This story truly is a great example of how bravery, courage, and strength along with a little faith can truly create miracles. Hacksaw Ridge will move you to tears, and will leave you with a story that will truly inspire you.

• Hacksaw Ridge: A Movie Review

Drop Comics

• Hacksaw Ridge: A Movie Review

Drop Comics

• Hacksaw Ridge: A Movie Review

Drop Comics

• Hacksaw Ridge: A Movie Review

Drop Comics

• Hacksaw Ridge: A Movie Review

The Future of Tacos is Upon Us.

• Hacksaw Ridge: A Movie Review

Opinion & Advice

How to: Handle Unwanted PDA

• Hacksaw Ridge: A Movie Review

5 Songs For Your Weekend

• Hacksaw Ridge: A Movie Review

Title IX

• Hacksaw Ridge: A Movie Review

For Your Eyez Only — Good or Bad?

• Hacksaw Ridge: A Movie Review

Why tweens ruin everything: an open letter

Hacksaw Ridge: A Movie Review