Kid gets paid $10,000 for hacking Instagram

Brynne Adamson, Section Editor

To many, children are annoying little creatures who just absorb their parents’ money until it’s bone dry.  All they do is eat, sleep, and scream for someone to play with them.  While this may be true, not all kids are like that.  In fact, kids are often times able to do amazing things.  They’re the ones you hear about on television shows or in articles like the one you’re reading now.  For Jani, his unexpected feat earned him $10,000, which is more than I’ve ever earned.

A little while ago, a Finnish child was able to find a glitch in the app known as Instagram, and that was how he earned his big bucks. This child’s name is Jani, and he is only 10 years old.  Jani is the youngest person ever to receive a reward from Facebook’s bug bounty program; he’s also in the upper tier of hackers that Facebook has paid for finding flaws.  The flaw he found on Instagram was in the security of its comments.  The boy explained, “I could have deleted anyone’s comments from there. Even Justin Bieber’s.”  Now, before you start cheering for the deletion of such celebrities and their comments, I have to bear some sad news: they have already fixed the flaw.  In fact, it’s been fixed since January.  Sorry guys, Justin Bieber is just going to have to live on.

What’s amazing to me is that Jani learned how to find these glitches from watching YouTube videos.  He and his brother had been interested in coding and video games for years.  It was because of their interest that they started testing out the security of multiple apps, finally finding a glitch in Instagram, which led to his reward money.  It’s amazing what the internet has to offer these days.
  It took a bit of convincing on Jani’s part for his friends to believe that he had earned a $10,000 reward from Facebook.  When they finally did believe him, they were astonished by the reward and probably wanted to become even closer friends with him.  Jani’s father, Marko, said that it came as a, “total surprise that [my son] has gone this far with it.”  With his reward money, Jani planned on buying a bicycle and a football.  For me, I would have bought a really nice jacuzzi or something, but he is 10.  Most of his reward money probably went into saving for college, which is a good investment (I suppose).

• Kid gets paid $10,000 for hacking Instagram

The Future of Tacos is Upon Us.

Opinion & Advice

How to: Handle Unwanted PDA

5 Songs For Your Weekend

Title IX

For Your Eyez Only — Good or Bad?

Why tweens ruin everything: an open letter

NBA Stars Can’t Breathe

Hot or Not: Hot Cheetos

One Last Text

Saying Yes to the Dress