From ‘Vine’ to stardom

Alyssa Noyce, Section Editor

What first began as a fun time on Vine has became a career for overnight success, Ruth B.

Ruth Berhe, also known as Ruth B, is a singer from Edmonton, Alberta. She became known from her videos on Vine –a short-form video sharing service– when she began posting videos in 2013.  About a year after joining, she began posting videos of herself singing. Her videos mostly included six second covers of popular songs, which helped her grow and become more popular. However, these covers aren’t exactly what made her famous.

In 2015, Ruth posted a Vine of her singing a line that she had made up. The line was inspired by the show Once Upon a Time. The video had gotten a span of 84,000 likes within the week, which was not usual for her. A lot of her followers commented that it should be a full song, and with that became the song, “Lost Boy” which she posted on YouTube on January 18, 2015, and released to iTunes on February 12, 2015. She now has an EP out which is called The Intro. It was released on November 27, 2015 and has four songs, including “Lost Boy.” She hopes to release a new album in 2016.

The songs included on her EP are Lost Boy, Golden, Superficial Love, and 2 Poor Kids. The songs all have a soothing tune, and her voice is very mellow and soft which makes the songs more enjoyable to listen to. The songs also all have significant meanings.

In her song Golden, she uses lyrics such as, “Cause I’m not weak, I’m not broken, I am bold” and “I’m no loser, watch me take on my bright future.” The whole song portrays views of being pushed around and being told that you couldn’t do anything, but then growing into this successful individual because of difficulties.

In her song Superficial Love, she says, “I’m not perfect, I’m flawed, and if you don’t like that get lost.” I think that this song shows that a lot of people just look for what’s on the outside, and they never really pay attention to what’s more important. The song implies that it’s better to be around people who are going to accept you for who you are.

Now, I don’t really know what the meaning behind 2 Poor Kids is, but I think it means that you don’t need money or fame to be in love with someone. The song has lyrics like “Cause love gets ruined by money and power and fame, and we’re just two poor kids from a really rich city” and “We’ve got a love story unlike the rest, no fancy suit and no fancy dress, just us, just us.” I think it has a good meaning, because it shows that money can ruin things, and that you don’t need to be powerful or important to love someone or be loved.

Now, I’ve saved the biggest one for last, Lost Boy. The song talks about a girl who feels like she is all alone, and then something helps her. That something would be Peter Pan. He promises that she will never be alone and that she can get away from all of her troubles with his help. The lyrics include, “I am a lost boy from Neverland, usually hanging out with Peter Pan” and “Run, run, lost boy”, they say to me, “away from all reality.” I think the song could help people if they feel alone, and I personally like the song because I can relate to it in so many ways. Ruth’s commentary on the song was, “I think, in a sense, we all have our own Peter Pan… for me, music is my Peter Pan.”

Ruth was always supposed to be involved in the music business. She took piano for five years starting when she was 8, but she didn’t start seriously creating and writing her own music until this past January. When she was allowed to attend public school for her senior year, she was introduced to new musical influences ranging from Lauryn Hill to the Beatles. Ruth says that they are her favorite artists, as well as Carole Hill, Grouplove, Adele, Taylor Swift and Ed Sheeran. She says, “The one thing all my favorite artists have in common is they are all storytellers. Something I try to incorporate in my music.”

You can buy Ruth B’s EP on iTunes for $4.95. I’d get to it fast and familiarize yourself with her music. She’s going places, and she’s taking all of her fans with her.

• From ‘Vine’ to stardom

Get to know your 2017-18 Student Body Officers!

• From ‘Vine’ to stardom

News

There is Always Hope

• From ‘Vine’ to stardom

Humor

Eight Year Old Boy’s Hunger Serves as a Driving Force

• From ‘Vine’ to stardom

Drop Comics

• From ‘Vine’ to stardom

Drop Comics

• From ‘Vine’ to stardom

Drop Comics

• From ‘Vine’ to stardom

Drop Comics

• From ‘Vine’ to stardom

The Future of Tacos is Upon Us.

• From ‘Vine’ to stardom

Opinion & Advice

How to: Handle Unwanted PDA

• From ‘Vine’ to stardom

5 Songs For Your Weekend

From ‘Vine’ to stardom